Location & Hours
The physical space for the Faculty Commons is located on the third floor of The Glickman Library on the USM Portland campus. The space is evolving. While the physical space is located at Glickman, our commitment is to access--virtual and physical. Some events are streamed or recorded, or otherwise made available for access in real time or after the event.
3rd Floor, Glickman Family Library
USM Portland Campus
Office Hours at the Faculty Commons
Judy Spross or GA Hilarie Fotter can hold office hours in the Faculty Commons space in Glickman 312 twice each week during the Fall 2014 semester:
- Fall 2014 office hours - Tuesdays:10 AM to 3 PM; Wednesdays: 10 AM to 3 PM
- Listening and connecting with Judy - Wednesdays: 12 PM to 1 PM
“I want to engage with our community regarding developing the Commons, discussing ideas with individuals or groups for programming, identifying opportunities for collaboration, building community, and otherwise working with you to advance USM's Faculty Commons as a resource, support, and hub for our work in teaching, scholarship and service.”
- Judy Spross, PhD Professor of Nursing and Coordinator of USM Faculty Commons Initiatives
Using the Space
The Faculty Commons space can accommodate individuals and/or two or three small groups. Swipe card access is available at the circulation desk. We are a self-service location and hope to provide a warm and inviting place to convene for all USM faculty. As a result, we ask everyone who uses this space to observe our rules and expectations for use.
Working Guidelines for Space Usage:
- The space is to be used for work that can be considered faculty development--this includes mentoring and collaboration; building community among faculty across units (including informal gathering and socializing with colleagues); your own work. The Faculty Commons space is not meant for office hours, meeting with students (the Learning Commons on the second floor has space for that), student advising or committee meetings.
- Swipe Card Access is required: you will need your faculty ID to get a swipe card from the first floor Circulation Desk and need to return it there when you are done using the space.
- Leave the room the way you found it (or better!)--put furniture back, turn the computer off, clean up the coffee area.
Share Your Thoughts
Please contact Faculty Coordinator, Judy Spross or GA Hilarie Fotter with any questions or concerns.
You are welcome to offer input online.
Special thanks to Professor Bruce Thompson for his assistance in logistical setup of the Faculty Commons Space.