Location & Hours
The physical space for the Faculty Commons is located on the third floor of The Glickman Library on the USM Portland campus. The space is evolving. While the physical space is located at Glickman, our commitment is to access--virtual and physical. Many events will be streamed or recorded, or otherwise made available for access in real time or after the event.
3rd Floor, Glickman Family Library
USM Portland Campus
Office Hours at the Faculty Commons
Judy Spross has office hours in the Faculty Commons space in Glickman 312 once each week during the fall 2013 semester:
- Fall 2013 office hours - First and Third Tuesdays from 11 AM to 12:30 PM; Second and Fourth Wednesdays, 2 to 4 PM
“I want to engage with our community regarding developing the Commons, discussing ideas with individuals or groups for programming, identifying opportunities for collaboration, building community, and otherwise working with you to advance USM's Faculty Commons as a resource, support, and hub for our work in teaching, scholarship and service.”
- Judy Spross, PhD Professor of Nursing and Coordinator of USM Faculty Commons Initiatives
Using the Space
Starting in the month of October, we will begin using Open Room (online software, already used for the Learning Commons) which allows you to book the space on your own for your own work, collaborative meetings, and activities.
The Faculty Commons space can accommodate individuals and/or two or three small groups. Swipe card access is available at the circulation desk.
Professor Bruce Thompson is convening a small group of interested faculty to develop guidelines for use of the space. Until these are finalized, here are working guidelines:
Working Guidelines for Space Usage:
- The space is to be used for work that can be considered faculty development--this includes mentoring and collaboration; building community among faculty across units (including informal gathering and socializing with colleagues); your own work. The Faculty Commons space is not meant for office hours, meeting with students (the Learning Commons on the second floor has space for that), student advising or committee meetings.
- Swipe Card Access is required: you will need your faculty ID to get a swipe card from the first floor Circulation Desk and need to return it there when you are done using the space.
- Coffee & Tea: In order to be in compliance with the UMS Administrative Practice Letter governing the provision of food and drink, you must document your meeting and purpose of each meeting (faculty development, mentoring etc). We have a faculty member willing to pilot our initial effort at documentation to help us minimize the burden and maximize compliance. Resources will be made available onsite to you for easy documentation.
- Leave the room the way you found it (or better!)--put furniture back, turn the computer off, clean up the coffee area.
To volunteer to develop the guidelines, or, if you have used the space and want to offer feedback, please contact Bruce Thompson at email@example.com, or call --extension 4739
To view the space in the library, click here to see a video tour prepared by Professor Bruce Thompson:
- Share Your Thoughts
You are welcome to offer input over the next 6 weeks online.